Monday, June 3, 2013

Here Goes Nothing!!!!


I have to admit, I am a little nervous about starting this blog.  Where should I start?  What should my first post be about?  I have so many different ideas running through my brain.  Here goes nothing.  I have been reading the novel , “The Happiness Project” by Gretchen Rubin and decided it was time I did something for myself to become happier.  Happier meaning I am already happy, but like Gretchen I feel there is always room for improvement.  She inspired me to start this blog.  As a mother of two awesome kids I am tempted to write about them and posts pictures of how awesome they are, but this blog is going to be about me and you and how we can create designs that makes us feel good.  (Plus isn’t posting pics of your kids what Facebook is for)  Anyway, I guess I should start off by telling you that I did not go to school for design and I am not a professional interior decorator. I honestly believe that design is something in your DNA and you don’t necessarily need a degree to have an eye and the talent for making things feel personal and special.  Some of the things I love to do on a budget and time crunch is update an old piece of furniture by repainting it and changing the knobs, backing an old bookcase with wallpaper and spray painting a bunch of picture frames to create a cohesive gallery wall.  Although I love “Restoration Hardware” and “Z Gallerie”, I am not the type of person to copy a whole room design from a furniture store.  I might buy one special piece from those stores, but I would rather think outside of the box and make it my own.  Wouldn’t you?  If you are going to like my blog, than the answer is yes.  So let’s start off by talking about a few of my favorite places to look for household items.  I love to decorate my kitchen with canisters, glasses, bowls etc.  I find myself displaying kitchen items rather than using them ( I do cook…I swear, just not with the pretty stuff). The kitchen items at Anthropologie are like pieces of art.  Speaking of art, I like to buy most of my artwork on this awesome new site I found called Society6.com which features the artwork of thousands of artists from all around the world.  They also have unique and affordable pillow covers.  I get a lot of my furniture from HomeGoods, because they have a wide range of styles and you can mix and match different items to find your own eclectic feel.  I like to reupholster old chairs and make my own window treatments.  I get most of my fabrics from Etsy.  They have so many different selections and you can easily find any print from toile to ikat.  I am going to stop here and leave you with a few pictures that inspire me.  I hope you enjoy them.   Many posts to come…..I did it! 





 

1 comment:

  1. well done!! so informatics I cant wait to check out society6...never heard of it :) cant wait for moreeeee!!!!

    request: pics of ur home/finished projects

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete