Sunday, August 25, 2013

Collection Connection

Do you have a collection from when you were a child? Do you find yourself accumulating quirky and uncommon objects? There is a collector in all of us no matter if you are 6 or 60, male or female. Displaying collections is an easy way to tell your guests the story of your life. Why not use your possessions as home decor...it saves money and brings a special intimate feel into your home. Treasuries can be from your travels (artifacts), a day at the beach with your family (shells, sea glass), family heirlooms (teacups) or just a random bunch of globes.  There are no rules for creating collections, just how you decide to arrange them.  You want your display to be organized and not to look like clutter. Group your items by theme, color, pattern, and materials such as ceramic and glass. It is important for your home to reflect your personal style, and what better way to do this than by displaying what you love. A great way to get ideas is to go to your favorite stores and check out their presentations. Stores like Anthropologie, Madewell, Nordstrom Kids, Urban Outfitters and West Elm have great displays that can give you inspiration. Below are a few of my personal collections and visuals of how I showcase them in my home.  



I display my penguin classic book set collection underneath items such as these hand painted folk owl mugs to give them height and add a pop of color to any room.  

I am a huge collector of housewares.  These are just some of the bowls and cups I have collected over the years.  My husband and I built this shelf in my kitchen to display my special pieces.

This is my floral vase collection from Anthropologie . DIY ALERT!!!!! I made the shelf by removing the doors, mod podging scrapbook paper onto the back of the shelf and painting them white and green. 

I collected castles as a little girl.  I bought this IKEA white LACK wall shelf and display them in my daughters room.  Her face lit up when she saw them for the first time and I cried knowing she loves them as much as I do.


Here are just some of my favorite interior decorating books.  They make for a fun coffee table display. 

Here is my mother's vintage record collection that I was lucky enough to acquire.  I display them underneath my Grandmother's secretary desk and love the history they bring into my living room.  

Collections are great conversation starters.  What grouping of personal items would you like to see in your home everyday? 



No comments:

Post a Comment