Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Young & Fresh

As most of you know I am a momma of two and I love, love, love designing nurseries.  When designing my son Shay's nursery , I decided to create a space that would grow with him.  Nurseries do not have to be childish and filled with cartoon characters and princesses.  They can be chic and tasteful.  I wanted to make sure not to over-style his room out of pure excitement for his arrival. The theme I chose was surfing, but I wanted to add it in a subtle way without plastering waves and surfboards all over the walls.  I settled on a color scheme of white and gray, with pops of aqua and yellow.  These bright colors work nicely with the theme and the gray and white chevron fabric.  I chose this fabric over a year ago and I had trouble finding it at the time and now they sell it at pottery barn...grrrrrrrrrr.  I don't know if it is a second child thing, but I decided to be thrifty and decorate Shay's room on a budget. I got most of the items for his room on Etsy and decided to stay away from the big name companies.  I will list the sources at the end of my blog and give a brief caption for each picture.  I hope this inspires you to create a children's space that they will love for many years to come.  
Shay's Nursery
I selected the colors for the letter prints above the changing table and framed them in simple white frames.  I purchased the basket, hamper and frames at HomeGoods.  


These are handmade knobs on the dresser that add a unique detail.  I love the little touches!
Handmade wood surfboard mobile. Isn't it great????   

Where to start?  This is Shay's little reading nook.  The stairs were a DIY project I did using a sponge brush, painters tape and bright yellow paint.  I wanted to make Shay feel like he was stepping into his own private happy place.  The chevron valance was made from the extra fabric from his crib skirt.  Cute right?  


Shay's "Nook Banner."  An easy project to personalize any space.  All you need is a glue gun,  fabric and felt.  

I kept the valance long to keep out the light during naps and the "Be Awesome" print is the perfect accent to the aqua color pop and chevron fabric.


This art print was love at first site.  I love how it is classic baby meets cool kid.
The large" Eat Sleep Surf" decal does so much for this room.  First it draws the viewers eyes up and I love how 3 simple words can be so perfect for a baby's lifestyle and the theme of Shay's room.  The blanket is knitted by Grandma.  I painted a yellow stripe on the crib for an unexpected bit of fun.  The aqua crib sheet was actually extremely hard to find and in the age of "no bumpers"  I went for a chevron crib skirt instead.
   

 Would you create a sophisticated chic space 
that your child can evolve with?
  Feel free to email me any questions or if you would like assistance designing your nursery :) 
Shayjdesign@hotmail.com

Sources
Chevron Monogram:  Tessyla 
Handmade Grey and Yellow Zig Zag Dresser Drawer KnobsWhimzicality
Surfboard Mobile:  Flying Tree Studios
Be Awesome Print:  Paper Llamas
Ash Gray & White Zig Zag Valances:  Sew Panache
Eat Sleep Surf Decal:  3rdAveShore
Gray & White Chevron Crib Skirt:  Baby Lovin
Fitted Crib Sheet:  Mod Fox
Converse Print:  The Paper Ship 

P.S  I am so making this headboard found at Land of Nod for Shay's future big boy bed. Geez I'm already thinking of future projects.


5 comments:

  1. What a great color scheme! I'm all for rooms that grow with them too. Kids grow so fast! We did change our son's theme when he recently switched from his crib/toddler bed to a twin, but still managed to keep a lot of the decor thanks to similar colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah! I totally agree :) Shay's crib turns into a toddler bed also, so I think it will be a smooth transition. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the coolest nursery I have ever seen! You're very talented. I wish my babies were still babies, I would love to do something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete