Thursday, September 5, 2013

Summer Is Done.....Time For Indoor Fun!!!!!

Sadly, summer is over and it's time to start thinking of some indoor fun for the kiddies.  As a child I was obsessed with having a hide-out and would try to make one in the bottom of my closet.  No joke, I would decorate it and have my friends sit in my closet with me with a flashlight (Nerd Alert!!).  But seriously whether it is a tree house, tent, teepee or fort, every kid needs a secret hideaway to call their own.  They are the perfect place to encourage creativity indoors when they cannot go outside and explore. They also provide a quiet personal space where kids can read and concentrate.  I recently have been pining for the teepees (shown below) from The Land of Nod and Restoration Hardware but, they are $159 and $269!!!!!
The Land of Nod

Restoration Hardware Baby & Child
 I decided I was going to make my own teepee in our playroom with the help of my husband and his super cool drill.  The key to my design is that it is NOT COMPLICATED.  I cannot sew and I wanted to create a teepee that other parents would feel confident making themselves.  I will provide you with simple instructions for creating a teepee in your home that will make your kids forget about Christmas...okay maybe not, but they will be very happy I promise you.

Materials:  
  • 6 (8 ft wood pieces)
  • rope (any kind would really work as long as it is durable enough)
  • self adhesive pads (for under the wood pieces)
  • glue gun
  • glue
  • 2 queen bedsheets
  • drill
  • screws
  • fabric

First, my husband drilled a hole about one foot from the top of each piece of  wood.  We than fit the rope through the holes until the wood sticks were in a teepee formation and were completely immovable. 




Next for safety reasons we decided to drill a few of the wood pieces to the molding for extra support.  Better safe than sorry...plus it's nothing a little spackle can't fix in the future.  We also put self adhesive pads on the bottom of each pole to stop the pieces from slipping on the wood floor. 


And that was it for the main structure. Wasn't that easy????  The best part is we bought all of the material at Home Depot and used items we had in our home and only spent $26!!!  Take that fancy teepee stores!!!

Now for the fun part.  I draped a white queen sized bed sheet over the top of the teepee and covered the middle to bottom region of the structure.  Than I used another queen bed sheet and covered the top to middle section.  I pinned up a bit of the opening, so that my kids have the option to put it down and be completely covered inside the teepee.  I got out my trusty glue gun and glued the bed sheet to the wood, so the kids would have plenty of space inside.

 I don't know about you, but I am kind of a fabric hoarder.  I usually have extra fabric from past projects or from old home decor items (runners, tablecloths, curtains etc).  I cut them down to size and row by row glued them to the outside of the sheet.  I was very patient and tried to be as neat as possible, but using so many different patterns gives you room for error which is cool.  


I glued butterflies to the inside of the teepee, because my daughter loves them and I wanted it to feel like her own special sanctuary.  

Lastly, I dressed up the space with some fun cushions and pillows.
 
TA DAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!! 



This little refuge was such a labor of love and I am so proud of it.  I must say I felt like the coolest mom in the world after showing this to my daughter Joey.   Whether we are glamping in the house, watching a movie, telling stories, reading books, or just relaxing....the teepee is our new favorite place to be.   

Doesn't this teepee make you wish you were a kid again?

Follow me on facebook----> https://www.facebook.com/Shayjdesign

5 comments: