Saturday, October 26, 2013

No Money....No Problem

My husband and I purchased our house when we were 26 years old, on our 1 year wedding anniversary. It was small and charming and most importantly it was ours. We have luckily been able to build upon our little 2 bedroom house and make it into our forever house. I am a very impatient person when it comes to having an idea and wanting to execute it right away, except when it comes to my kitchen. It is a great layout, but I refuse to put a great deal of money into it until I can build the kitchen of my dreams. When we first moved in, we painted the cabinets white, installed knobs and put in a glass tile black splash ourselves. After the remodel we built two shelves over the sink where a window used to be. I try to be thrifty and creative when it comes to making my antiquated kitchen still visually pleasing. I have grown to love my little outdated kitchen, because even though it doesn't have granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances, it is warm and inviting. Last week I decided to give our kitchen a little bit of love by restyling and backing the shelves, removing cabinet doors, adding a small chalkboard wall and mixing in a lot of warm accents. I wanted the dominant colors to be greens, browns and whites. I brought in wood, wicker and glass to add different textures. Adding paintings, books and clocks is a great way to make any space seem cozy.  There are no rules!!  Books do not have to be on bookshelves and clocks do not need to be on night tables. I decluttered the face of my refrigerator and used wicker baskets to hold items I need easy access to on my counter-tops . The only thing I purchased for this kitchen facelift was five sheets of scrap paper that I bought for 69 cents each.  They look very similar to the expensive grass cloth wallpaper people use in their homes. All of the kitchen items, books, frames, paints used for the rest of the process were materials that were already in my home.  I am going to begin by showing you two  pictures of how the kitchen looked when I first moved in. 




I removed the cabinet doors of the oh so common unused cabinet above the refrigerator. I backed them with the scrap paper below and painted them white.


Here is the scrap paper I backed the open cabinets with.  They add texture and warmth to the space.
Here is the finished cabinet above the refrigerator.  I styled the shelf with cookbooks, herbs, a cookie jar and more.  I think it really gives this neglected space a purpose. 
I did the same thing to this cabinet. I love the my Anthropologie Homegrown Monogram Mugs with the first initial of our family members. They are the perfect housewarming gift! 

Here is the shelf my husband and I built to avoid paying for new cabinetry. I used vintage and new kitchen items, frames, flowers, books and more to give it a welcoming appearance.
Here is my Katie Daisy print that I mentioned in my Besties of Etsy blog. I leaned it on my counter top, because well why not.  I think it embodies the essence of kitchen charm that I was going for.  I use a small cutting board to hold my homemade vanilla sugar scrub, my ring holder and soap.
Here is my little chalkboard back splash wall.  I saw a font I liked online and went for it. In the future I can put recipes and other fun things on the wall. I think it gives the kitchen that coffee shop vibe I love so much.
I painted these breakfast bar stools white and teal.
Do you like how it turned out?  I hope I have motivated you to use items around your house to make the most out of any room in your home.  All you need is a little imagination and love.

https://www.facebook.com/Shayjdesign

6 comments:

  1. I love this!! It is so cute! I'm gonna be coming back to this for inspiration, once I have a house (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy-I love everything that you have done. Can you please tell me the name of the tile that you used for the other part of the backsplash? Love that it is multi colored!
    Thanks,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice, Love how you improvised, awesome!

    ReplyDelete