Thursday, December 19, 2013

ShayJDesign Pottery Barn Hack

I always love looking through the Pottery Barn catalogs, but let's be honest, majority of the items they sell are unaffordable and overpriced. One of the main reasons I enjoy viewing their home decorating ideas is to use them as a resource for my own design inspiration. I recently went to Pottery Barn Kids with my daughter Joey and she just loved their Rose Lamp. This was not surprising being that Joey loves all things pink and girly. I found a salesperson and she told me that the Rose Shade is $99.00, the Payton Push Button Base is $52.00 and the tax is $14.82. That is a total of $165.82 for a children's lamp. I pride myself on being thrifty and was instantly motivated to make a knockoff just as good as the original. The beauty of DIY and not buying a store made item is that you can customize your creation. My daughter's room is a bright pink, so I selected a deeper shade of pink for the flowers than used by PB. I used an old lamp base that I had in the house and spray painted it white. (All of the links to the items you will need to make your own lamp will be provided at the end of this post.) The lamp I made came to a grand total of $52.00 and it was a complete labor of love. I cannot wait to give it to her on Christmas. Here is what you will need (including a lamp base of your choice).
Rose Heads, Glue Gun & Glue Sticks, Lamp Shade, Spray Paint & Scissors.
I started by cutting the green plastic part of the flower head so that it would lay flat on the lamp shade. Then I put glue on the back of the rose and pushed it down onto the shade from the top of the flower and from underneath the shade to ensure it would hold.
I spray painted the lamp base white. This took about 3 coats.

Here is my DIY Pottery Barn Rose Lamp Hack.  

Pottery Barn on left and ShayJDesign on right

2 comments:

  1. Found your blog via Mommy Bloggers. Love it! Totally agree that PB is way overpriced-great hack! So adorable for a little girls room! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! I like the pictures.
    will comment back - http://www.oldfashionmom.com

    ReplyDelete